Saturday, October 24, 2009

Everyone was Kung Fu Fighting!

Movie fight sequences. Almost more unrealistic then falling in love at first sight. In following up my post on setting last week, this week I was thrown into a new setting of my own. Karate.

Now, I’ve always wanted to learn how to do karate, but was more interested in theatre and dancing and various lots of other things. Well, thanks to poking from a few friends, I finally joined. And do I feel like a newbie there. I have to retrain my brain and body from everything it’s used to doing. For example, whenever I go forward to do a punch, I guess my back leg bends are something, and my Sensei keeps calling it a courtesy, and threatens to curtsey himself every time I come by if I don’t stop it. Wow, I am so not a good fighter, lol. Definitely going to take a bit to get used to it, but I am starting to enjoy it… once my body stops complaining about the aches that is.

Anyways, one thing I’m learning is that it takes a LOT of energy to fight, and since it does, you really want to just go in, take the guy out, movie on. Not theatrical, but practical. Now, we all know movie fight scenes have to be elaborate and al, but seriously, ten minutes or even longer for a fight? How do these characters keep going? Realistically, someone’s got to give out a lot sooner than that.

Now I’m not saying movie fights are bad, they are really fun to watch, just… very unpractical. Most of them are very overdone… cept this beauty.

Movie fight sequences. Almost more unrealistic then falling in love at first sight. In following up my post on setting last week, this week I was thrown into a new setting of my own. Karate.

Now, I’ve always wanted to learn how to do karate, but was more interested in theatre and dancing and various lots of other things. Well, thanks to poking from a few friends, I finally joined. And do I feel like a newbie there. I have to retrain my brain and body from everything it’s used to doing. For example, whenever I go forward to do a punch, I guess my back leg bends are something, and my Sensei keeps calling it a courtesy, and threatens to curtsey himself every time I come by if I don’t stop it. Wow, I am so not a good fighter, lol. Definitely going to take a bit to get used to it, but I am starting to enjoy it… once my body stops complaining about the aches that is.

Anyways, one thing I’m learning is that it takes a LOT of energy to fight, and since it does, you really want to just go in, take the guy out, movie on. Not theatrical, but practical. Now, we all know movie fight scenes have to be elaborate and al, but seriously, ten minutes or even longer for a fight? How do these characters keep going? Realistically, someone’s got to give out a lot sooner than that.

Now I’m not saying movie fights are bad, they are really fun to watch, just… very unpractical. Most of them are very overdone… cept this beauty.



Go in, get job done, go out, hehehe.
So, besides Indy, are there any movie fights that are both entertaining, yet somewhat realistic?


Jiust shoot and get the enemy gone. hehehe.
So, besides Indy, are there any movie fights that are both entertaining, yet somewhat realistic?

2 comments:

  1. I started a judo/karate course when I was a kid, i think I went to 4-5 and couldnt be bothered anymore! It would be cool to know how to defend yourself...but its the actual learningprocess that is not so cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the bourn fight scenes are pretty accurate, but I hate how they shoot from 5 different angles per second. Makes it hard to see what they're doing. Still, it gives you the adrenalin rush of a real fight

    ReplyDelete