Friday, April 10, 2009

Bubblegum Love


Bubblegum Love is a romantic comedy about a comic book nerd who uses an elaborate scheme to get a date, with interesting results.
While I've made a few movies at home before this one, this was my first "kinda professional" one.
I got the idea for the story because of a dear friend of mine's experience of getting stuck in a piece of gum while working as a theme park costumed character. (quite tramatic for her. :P lol, just kidding. ;) )
This started when I signed up to attend the New York Film Academy's one week Teen Camp at Universal Studios Hollywood. That was in July 2008. about a week before, I was trying to come up with the story idea, when my friend told me what had happened to her. I thought it was the funniest thing, and laughed really, really, really hard.
And then I thought, would someone getting stuck in gum make an interesting movie? and if so, who would get the girl out And it turned into a romantic comedy, because I was a hopeless romantic at that time. Well... still am. ;) The superhero theme came from the fact I'm a Batman nerd, and that was the week The Dark Knight came out. (Awesomeness!)
So I wrote the script, made story boards, and headed off to film camp. it was a great learning experience, and I got the constructive help I needed on my script before shooting. Amazingly, the two actors I cast as the lead look exactly like my story board characters do! :D
So overall, it's a cute romantic comedy. How can you tell? I picked the name not only to reflect the actual plot, but to show it's a light fluffy film. Cute, right? ;)
Hope you enjoy it. :)

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha, cool! When he took off his shoe and placed it on her foot... priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice short film :) Great to see such a young, passionate filmmaker. Keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mackenzie!

    My name is Rosa Sophia (also 17) and I live in The Netherlands. On July 26th I’m attending a one-week course in filmmaking in Florence offered by the NYFA. I was looking on YouTube for some short films made by NYFA students when I jumped into your short film, Bubblegum Love (really liked it by the way and ‘Imagination’ is even better!).
    I was wondering if you could tell me something about the NYFA film camp, because I really don’t know what to expect! For instance: do you have to write down some ideas for a short film before you go to the camp or do you have to write a script, make a storyboard etc. already, before you go?

    I really hope you are willing to answer my question! If so, you can e-mail me at rosa.smalen@mac.com.

    Love,
    Rosa

    P.s. I’m sorry if I make really weird sentences, my English is not that good unfortunately :S

    O, and keep up the good work! I really enjoyed your movies!

    ReplyDelete